Mother's love "bears all things, believes all things,
hopes all things, endures all things." (1 Corinthians
13:7). A mother nurtures, sustains, and redeems the
family. A woman is nurturer, caregiver, mother and a
1. Bears (Porukkunnu): Protects. A mother always looks
for something positive in their children. St. Mary's
position: Annunciation, birth, presentation, sorrow at
the foot of the cross.
MOTHERS: NOT FOR SALE: Son in college sent a
letter to his mother asking money to buy a car for his
weekend use explaining that he cannot wait until
graduat-ion and demanded money for the works he did at
home: Moving the lawn for the last four years:
$500.00; doing the chores at home: 500.00; Going to
the store on his bike:200; thus a total of $1200.00 to
buy a used car. Mother wiped her tears while she read
the letter and then wrote the following reply: "I
could not buy a car for you as I was saving the money
for your college; but I bought the bike you loved so
much. I am sending you the money I owe you. Here is my
bill for some of the things I did for you all these
years. I shall continue to pray for you:
Carrying you within me foe nine months:
Feeding you all these years:
Sitting at night without sleep when you had
Taking care of you when you were sick: No charge
Teaching you to read, write:
Taking you places whereever you wanted to go: No
Taking you to School, Piano, Sports:
Worrying about you and praying for you daily: No
2. Believes (Vishwasickunnu): Trusts: She helps to
understand; she believes in us when we have troubles
in believing ourselves; she tells what we wanted to
hear; she allows us to dream our dreams; she gives us
the room we wanted to grow and the freedom to learn
from our own mistakes.
Before the collapse of the Soviet Union, a
Soviet airforce colonel asked American diplomat Vernon
Walters what he would do in the event of a nuclear
war. Ambassador replied: "I would pray 'Our Father,
who art in Heaven....". Then the Colonel completed
that Lord's Prayer. Ambassor asked: "How do yoy know
that?' Colonel: "Everyone in Soviet Union knows it."
Ambassador: "How?" Colonel: "From Mama."
3. Hopes all things (Prathiashickunnu): Hopes,
recognizes and praises. Mother asked Christ for her
sons John and James (sons of Zebedees / "sons of
thunder") to allow sitting on the right and left side
when He establishes His kingdom.
4. Endures (Sahickunnu): Preserves. Gives total
forgiveness and reconciliation. She sets the right
Second grade class has science lesson on
the MAGNET. For a test, one question was: "My name
starts with M, has six letters and I pick up things.
What am I?
Half of the class answered: MOTHER.
Mother is there when we need her: She loves,
sacrifices and helps. Mother is not only a care-giver,
she is also a housekeeper, peacemaker, zookeeper, and
5. Good mothers produce great men: Mothers of Moses
(Jochabed), Samuel (Hannah), Jesus (Mary), John the
Baptist (Elizabeth), Timothy (Eunice).
6. Eve disobeyed: Brother (Cain) killed brother (Abel)
Sara was jealous: Ishmael and Hagar: Tug of war in
the middle East.
7. Questions to children What do they want to be? 97%
said "Like my mother"
8.Love them when they are living. The time is now,
not after they are gone. They work hard for us with
never a complaint carrying all the burdens. Tell them
that we love her and appreciate what she does for us.
Thank them from the bottom of our hearts for being
there when we needed them.
9. Three significant aspects:
A. Sacred Calling: Biological and
spiritual or moral: Molding influence: We learn about
love, honesty, integrity, faith in God, etc., from our
B. Endangered Calling: Because of
ungrateful husbands, economic necessity or
C. Indispensable Calling: To communicate
faith, love, self-worth and moral values.
Mother's love for a sucking child: Isaiah
Mother's and Grandmother's care: 2 Timothy
1:5 cf. Proverbs 22:6; Samuel's mother Hannah: 1
10. Obstacles to being a better mother:
a. Not having enough time with their kids.
A survey reveals that 25% think that they would be
better mothers if they didn't have to work.
b. Not having enough money: 39% think
having more money would make them better mothers.
11. Value of a typical mother: Edelman Financial
Services calculated the market value for the
"typical" mom in today's economy as follows:
As elementary school principal: $58,600.00
Computer analyst : 44,000.00
Financial manager: 39,000.00
Bus driver: 32,000.00
Social worker: 30,000.00
Property manager: 22,600.00
Caretaker for pets: 17,500.00
Recreation worker: 15,500.00
Child care worker: 13,000.00
TOTAL : $507,200.00
(Note: Tehse figures are calculated few years back).
12. Mother's good advice and support, her concern for
spirituality, her standing behind her children, her
good heart, empathy, her teaching and nice things and
giving good advice, being there for her children, all
are greatly appreciated.
13.Some quotable quotes:
1. God cannot be everywhere, so He made mothers (Arab
2. Mothers do not divide their love among their
children; they multipy it.
3. As far as understanding is concerbed, mothers
usually are more valued than fathers, mainly for
emotional reasons" (Marilyn Vos Savant). Mothers are
much more law-abiding and nurturing. Women are the
kinder, gentler sex. Though men built the modern
world, women made it civilized, according to Savant.
4. A mother is a mother still, the holiest thing alive
(Samuel Taylor Coleridge)
5. The mother is to the child as the king is to the
nation (Vietnam Proverb)
6. When the baby wakes, she breaks her sleep; when the
baby walks, she runs around him/her.
7. Look at the mother before you take her daughter in
marriage (Indian Proverb)
8. Though your mother be poor, she is still your
mother (African Proverb)
9. The mother is God's agent to Christianize her
10. Behind every great man, there is a great woman
(wife, mother or some one else)
11. The hand that rocks the cradle is the hand that
rules the world.
12. All that I am, I owe to my mother (Abraham
13. A mother's love preceives no impossibilities
14. When you are small and just a touch away. I
covered you with blankets against the cool night air;
but now you are tall and out of reach, I fold my hands
and cover you with prayer (Dona Cooper)
15. Mother love is the fuel that enables a normal
human being to do the impossible (Marion C. Garretty)
16. As a mother, my job is to take care of what is
possible and trust God with the impossible (Ruth B.
17. No language can express the power and the beauty
and the heroism of a mother's love (Edwin Chapin)
18. A mother's love is like a circle; it has no
beginning and no ending. It keeps going around and
around ever expanding, touching everyone who comes in
contact with it (Art Urban)
19. Mother is the name of God in the lips and hearts
of little children (William Thackery)
20. There is no friendship, no love, like that of the
mother for the child (Henry Beecher)
21. All that I am or hope to be, I owe to my mother
22. I'd rather be a mother than anyone on earth. Bring
up a child or two of unpretentious birth (Meredith
23. Not flesh of my flesh, nor bone of my bone; but
miraculously my own; never forget a single minute; you
didn't grow under my heart, but in it (Anonymous)
24. When I stopped seeing my mother with the eyes of a
child, I saw the woman who helped me give birth to
myself (Nancy Friday)
25. It was when I had my first child that I understood
how much my mother loved me ( A Bouquet of Sentiments)
26. If I have amounted to anything, it will be due to
my mother (Charles Chaplin)
27. Motherhood "requires the skills of a master
mediator, mentor, cook and counselor."