1. This miracle on the day before our Lord's Last
Supper" when the Holy Eucharist was instituted for
eternal life (v.51, 53-54. 56 cf. 1 John 5:12), for
unity with the Father and the Son and every one else
(v.56); John 15:1-10; and for the resurrection of the
dead: v. 54.
2. "I am the bread of life": John 6:35; 6:48. This
bread unites us with God.
3. The seven "I am's" in the 4th Gospel.
4. "I am that I am" to Moses.
5. The difference between "Manna" and the bread of
life ... live for ever. God's life given through
Eucharist ... medicine for immortality. Field and
workers are meaningful when eat bread... bread of
life. "Manna" was given for physical entity: Exodus 16
- for day to day: "Give us this day our daily bread.
Manna: Angel's food: Psalm 78:24-25.
6. Jesus is the true life-giving bread. Those who
believe in Him will live for ever.
7. By receiving Holy Communion, God's life comes into
us: 1 Corinthians 11:23-30; 2 Corinthians 4:10; Jesus
Christ lives in us. Arguments and quarrels in
spiritual life due to ignorance. Share the knowledge
to others, not the arguments. Blind cannot see what we
show him. Argument about how the body of Christ can be
given as food... not intelligent enough to understand
the spirituality. Fear of God is the beginning of
wisdom (Proverbs 1:7). If He lives in us and we live
in Him, we bear many fruits (John 15:5). His words
never pass away (Matthew 24:35). If we don't receive
Him, we are responsible for our destruction
(Revelation 3:20). Jesus followed God in everything
(John 6:19). We have to follow Him to overcome trials
and temptations (John 17:4). Jesus passed in all three
of satan's temptations: stone to bread, worship satan
and jump from the pillar. His brightness works in us
(Philippians 3:21). Act and talk as God living in us.
8. We have to participate fully in Christ as the
complete sacrifice for sin in order to realize the
benefits of salvation. Full involvement results in
eternal life. We have to abide in Christ and Christ in
us when we receive the Holy Communion to be effective.
Otherwise it is worthless (1 Corinthians 11:29-30).
This relationship is like the Father and the Son. Son
gets living power from the Father. Through communion
we receive that power.
9. Spiritual hunger leads us to knock at the door of
the church for some food where we receive the
spiritual bread for eternal life.
10. The Eucharist bread is made out of the four
outstanding ingredients for life:
1. Wheat flour: stands for clay, dust,
2. Water: 3. Yeast: Air 4. Salt: Fire
The bread represents each one of us; so in the Church
we share ourselves.
A. The Bread of Faith: Many are in utter
turmoil and confusion: No faith in God, man or in the
future. Faith is leap into the darkness; "faith is the
substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things
not seen" (hebrews 11:1).
B. The Bread of Hope: Technological
advancement does not solve all the problems. Many are
wandering without any hope.
C. The Bread of Love: Wars and fights all
over ...at homes, in the community, in the country all
over the world. Lots of us are longing for fellowship
and friendship (Love Chapter: 1 Corinthians 13).
Are we giving these three loaves to others: faith,
hope and love?
11. We will be tested in our day to day life. Overcome
12. Receive Him physically and spiritually through
1. Parable of the sower (Matthew 13:1-23; Luke
8:4-18). In God's field, the seeds of word are sown.
2. We must be careful to obey the word of God; God's
word will accomplish its purpose.
3. The kinds of soil have their impact on the harvest:
a. Ones by the wayside: Careless hearers
of the Gospel truth;
b. Stony ground: Persons who value
salvation too little;
c. Sown among thorns: Persons who spend
all their energies on material things (Are we one of
these? Disobedience brings danger: Jeremiah 7:21-26);
Even if in peril, awake and shine (Isaiah 52:1-6); He
will be with us.
d. Good ground (Exodus 3:9-15): Believers
who accept Christ and continue to follow Him. Those
who willingly receive the truth, truly understand and
obey. Jesus is the source: Hebrews 4:14-5:5.
4. Like a lamp put on a lampstand makes things
visible, so the Gospel message brings God's truth to
1. God's future rule had begun with the coming of
Jesus; it was once secret, but now revealed.
2. If we close our eyes against the light, we will not
profit anything from all possible means given to us.
1 PETER 2:4-10
1. Christ is the foundation stone: 2:4.
2. Through faith in Christ, we become God's people.
3. Believers are living stones ... by sharing in
3. The Church is a spiritual house: compare to the
temple of God: John 2:19-21; 1 Corinthians 3:16; 6:19.
4. Jesus, the corner stone, completes God's plan of
5. We are a chosen generation, royal priesthood, holy
nation, and His own special people (Exodus 19:5-6).
Thus the Church is the New Israel.
6. God accepts sinners and makes them the people of
God: Hosea 1:10; 2:23.
7. Whatever God sanctified is not unclean: Romans
8. Most leaders, inventors, discovers arose from
1. High priesthood of Jesus who cleanses the sinful
2. Jesus enables usto overcome sin because He overcame
every form of temptation.
3. God's undeserving people receive His goodness:
forgiveness for sins (mercy) and grace to help us
overcome temptation. We can approach Him in prayer for
4. The high priesthood of Christ and of Aaron. Both
offered sacrifice for the sins of others. Both were
called by God. But they differ in the nature of their
calls and the effectiveness of their sacrifices. The
call of Christ surpasses the call of Aaron in that God
made Christ a priest for ever.
1. God knows the sorrows of His people.
2. God's method of deliverence is reaching people
through people: MOses.
3. Moses' thought "who am I", instead of "whose I am
4. Moses also thought that God's people, now in Egypt
more than 400 years , would have been even forgotten
5. YHWH: YAHWEH: JEHOVAH: I AM THAT I AM (3:14): Answe
to Moses. The present one, He who is. The God is
present in their midst even in exile.
SEVEN I AM'S IN THE 4TH GOSPEL
1. I am the Bread of Life: John 6:35: Bread for
physical survival. Lord's body for spiritual life
(6:51). We have to be renewed in the faith of His body
and in the love of His blood. Feed and give us
2. I am the light of the world: John 8:12. Warfare
between light and darkness. In the beginning God
created light. Evil fights against light. Dark moves
away with the appearance of lightt (2 John 2:8). Be
one with Christ (Ephesians 1:10). Light, Jesus, to
show our way.
3. I am the Door (John 10:7): Door to the way of life.
Words of eternity are with Him. Those who go through
Him will be saved.
4. I am the Good Shepherd (John 10:11): Great shepherd
of the shep (Hebrews 13:20); chief shepherd (1 Peter
5:4); the Lord is our shepherd (Psalm 23:1). A
shepherd's responsib-ilities include feeding (Bread of
life: Holy Communion), protecting from the enemy ...
satan and sin ... , caring, encouraging, keeping in
order and giving guidance and spiritual direction
(John 21:15-17; Acts 20:28-31; 1 Thessalonians 5:2-15;
2 Timothy 4:1-5). A caring shepherd looks after the
flock (Luke 12:32; John 10:7-16); his relationship is
like between God and His people (Psalm 23; 95:6-7); he
leads (Ezekiel 4:23; Micah 5:2-4); guides his flock to
good pastures (Isaiah 40:11); feeds his sheep (psalm
23); guides them (1 Samuel 17:34); he searches for the
strayed and lost ones (Matthew 18:12); he knows his
sheep individually (John 10:1-4); he tends his sheep
(Genesis 33:13).Jesus came down to enquire about the
status of the lamb. He went out seeking the one lost
leaving the 99. Jesus told Peter to feed the lamb.
Jesus is the Good Shepherd (2 John 1:1-16)
...."Behold, the lamb of God", John the Baptist
witnessed. The leaders are also shepherds (Acts
21:28). Moses found a lost sheep of his father-in-law.
God saw this and found a leader to lead and guide the
Israelites. David was a shepherd. God is our real
shepherd (Psalm 23:1). Immanuel is with us till the
end of the world. He knows us individually and
personally. The self-sacrificed watches us all the
time. (Ezekiel 34:4: Bad shepherd).
5. I am the Resurrection and the Life (John 11:25):
Eternal life - life after death. We live because of
6. I am the way, Truth, and Life (John 14:6): Way to
the Father; light of light, very God of very God.
Truth to believe and life to be lived.
7.I am the True Vine: Spiritual, internal
relationship. We are the brtances (15:5). He is our
fellowship. When we are like Him, we bear fruits.
1. Obedience is first, sacrifice comes after.
2. Starting from Moses, prophets gave Israel messages
of warning and promises through out history:
1. A call to God's people to dress in beautiful
garments in preparation for the salvation of God: cf.
3:16-4:1, where Zion tries to make herself beautiful,
and to 47:1-3 where beautiful Babylon is stripped like
2. Shall be redeemed from sin without money: 55:1-2.
3. Assyria and Babylon oppressed Israel without any
4. The enemies say that God could not do anything to
save them.: (If we remain in sin, the same thing will
5. We have to recognize God's true greatness.